Electric tankless water heaters have become increasingly popular due to their energy efficiency, compact size, and on-demand hot water supply. These units eliminate the need for a large storage tank, reducing energy consumption by only heating the water when it is needed. As a result, they can save you money on utility bills and provide a continuous stream of hot water for your household needs.
The electric tankless water heater market offers various models catered to different needs, from small point-of-use units for a single fixture to whole-house solutions that can support multiple appliances simultaneously. When choosing the best electric tankless water heater for your home, it is essential to consider factors such as the size of your household, the appliances you will be using, and the flow rate and temperature rise you’ll require.
Key features that could influence your purchase decision include the unit’s energy efficiency rating, ease of installation, warranty, and any additional options or settings that cater to your specific needs. Ultimately, selecting the right electric tankless water heater comes down to finding a model that can effectively and efficiently meet your household’s hot water demands.
After thorough research and testing, we have compiled a list of the best electric tankless water heaters to make your decision-making process as smooth as possible. Our recommendations cater to various needs and budgets so that you can find the perfect solution to your hot water requirements.
Best Electric Tankless Water Heaters
We have compiled a list of the best electric tankless water heaters for your convenience. These products will ensure you have a consistent supply of hot water while also saving energy and space in your home. Dive in to find the perfect one for your needs!
EcoSmart ECO 11 Electric Tankless Water Heater
- Endless On-Demand Hot Water; Consistent hot water when you need it that never runs out; Continuously monitored water temperature and controlled flow rates ensure efficiency and consistent performance within 1 degree of selected temperature.Amperage Draw : 54 A.Special Features: Energy Efficient
- Save Space; EcoSmart tankless electric water heaters are 90% smaller than traditional tank heaters; may be installed on wall or at point of use; Dimensions 11.5 x 8 x 3.75 inches
- Save Energy; EcoSmart tankless electric water heaters are 99% thermal energy efficient; Only heats water when called unlike a tank heater that maintains water temperature even when not being used.
- EcoSmart ECO 11 Sizing; 13-kilowatt tankless electric water heater ideal for providing hot water for a bathroom, small sink, office breakroom and other point-of-use or low-flow applications; provides between 1.3 and 3.1 gallons-per-minute depending on the inlet water temperature; refer to the sizing guide to select the proper solution
We highly recommend the EcoSmart ECO 11 for its efficient performance, space-saving design, and user-friendly temperature control.
- Endless on-demand hot water supply
- Compact size, easy installation
- Energy efficient (99% thermal energy efficiency)
- Might not work for high-demand households
- Requires professional installation
- Limited to warmer climate areas
We recently installed the EcoSmart ECO 11 Electric Tankless Water Heater in our small office breakroom and have been enjoying its benefits ever since. Its compact size (11.5 x 8 x 3.75 inches) allowed us to easily install it on the wall, freeing up valuable space in our limited area. The ECO 11 has been extremely energy efficient, thanks to its 99% thermal energy efficiency, and only heats water when needed, unlike traditional tank heaters.
The digital temperature control is a major advantage as it allows us to set the desired water temperature in increments of 1-degree, providing us with a perfect water temperature every time. The heater supplies endless on-demand hot water – with a temperature range of 80-140Â°F – ensuring we never run out of hot water. However, it’s essential to mention that the ECO 11 may not be suitable for households with high hot water usage or colder climates as it is designed to provide hot water for one shower in colder climates and two showers in warmer climates.
One issue we encountered is that professional installation was necessary due to the specific electrical requirements of the unit, which might be an added cost for some users. Overall, the EcoSmart ECO 11 is perfect for small-scale applications with low-flow demands, like our office breakroom or a single bathroom, but might not suffice in providing hot water for an entire household with multiple hot water usage points.
In conclusion, the EcoSmart ECO 11 Electric Tankless Water Heater has superb energy efficiency, on-demand hot water supply, and space-saving features that make it an excellent choice for single or low-flow applications. However, it might not be an ideal pick for high-demand households or locations with colder climates.
Rheem 18kW 240V Tankless Electric Water Heater
- External digital thermostatic control with LED display (+/1 degree accuracy)
- Most advanced self-modulation, adjust power to meet hot water demand
- Durable Copper immersion two heating elements, field Serviceable. Flow Rate- up to 4.4 GPM
- Simple installation – bottom 3/4 inch NPT water connections
- Threaded for easy replacement, simple installation, digital temperature display
We recommend this electric tankless water heater for its efficient performance, space-saving design, and user-friendly installation process.
- Highly accurate external digital thermostatic control
- Advanced self-modulation to adjust power for hot water demand
- Durable and field-serviceable copper immersion heating elements
- Higher electricity consumption than some alternatives
- May require bringing in additional power for some homes
- Installation can be costly in certain situations
We recently replaced our old water heater with the Rheem 18kW 240V Tankless Electric Water Heater and noticed a significant improvement in our hot water supply. The heater’s external digital thermostatic control has a LED display and offers accurate temperature adjustments, giving us a consistent hot water temperature in our showers and sinks.
Moreover, the advanced self-modulation system adjusts power to meet hot water demand, which means the heater only uses as much power as needed. With durable copper immersion heating elements, the product is also built to last for years. We found the installation process quite easy, with bottom 3/4 inch NPT water connections that could be threaded for simple replacement.
However, it’s essential to note some potential drawbacks. The heater does consume a substantial amount of electricity when in use, so you may notice a spike in your energy bill. Additionally, some households might need to upgrade their electrical system to accommodate the water heater’s power requirements. In our case, the installation costs were on the higher side, but it was worth it considering the improved performance and space-saving design of this tankless water heater.
In conclusion, the Rheem 18kW 240V Tankless Electric Water Heater is a reliable and efficient option for those looking for an upgrade in their hot water supply. Despite higher electricity consumption and possible installation costs, the heater’s space-saving design and advanced self-modulation system make it an attractive choice.
Rheem RTEX-24 24kW Electric Tankless Water Heater
- ON/OFF Dial Control with adjustable digital temperature display
- Self-modulating power control
- 24kW Model Flow Rate: up to 5.9 GPM for RTEX-24
- Bottom 3/4" NPT water connections
- On demand, consistent and continuous hot water
Rheem RTEX-24 is a reliable and efficient electric tankless water heater that we recommend for your home.
- Digital temperature display with adjustable settings
- Self-modulating power control
- Consistent and continuous hot water up to 5.9 GPM
- Requires professional installation
- May necessitate electrical upgrades
- Not suitable for extreme cold climates
The Rheem RTEX-24 electric tankless water heater impressed us with its compact design and quick, easy access to hot water. As we turned it on and set the desired temperature using the ON/OFF dial control, we noticed the water temperature remained consistent throughout our use, beneficial for households with multiple users.
However, installation could be challenging for some as it requires professional assistance to handle the electrical components accurately. Before purchasing, it is essential to consider your home’s electrical system as upgrades might be necessary to support the 24 kW power requirement. In our experience, the RTEX-24 performed well, but it might struggle to deliver sufficient hot water in regions with harsh winters.
Overall, the Rheem RTEX-24 24kW Electric Tankless Water Heater is a great investment for those with moderate hot water demands and looking to save energy in the long run. Its compact design and convenient features outweigh the challenges faced during installation, making it an excellent addition to any home.
Determine Your Needs
Before purchasing an electric tankless water heater, it’s essential to determine your specific needs. Consider factors like your household’s hot water demands and any particular requirements. Ask yourself how many hot water fixtures you have and how often you use them simultaneously.
Look for Energy Efficiency
Energy efficiency is a crucial aspect to consider when selecting an electric tankless water heater. Look for models with a high energy factor (EF) and Energy Star certification. These units will not only save you money on your energy bills but also reduce your carbon footprint.
Select a unit with the appropriate size and capacity based on your household’s hot water demands. Consider factors like flow rate (measured in gallons per minute, or GPM) and temperature rise (how much the unit can heat the incoming water). Use the following table to help:
|Flow Rate (GPM)
|Temperature Rise (Â°F)
|Suggested Unit Size (kW)
Ensure that your home’s electrical system can support the installation of an electric tankless water heater. You may need to upgrade your electrical system, add extra circuits, or install a new electrical panel to accommodate the unit.
Warranty and Customer Support
Opt for a unit with a solid warranty, as it shows the manufacturer’s confidence in their product. Moreover, check their customer support system to ensure they will be there to help you with any issues that may arise.
By taking these factors into account, you can confidently choose the best electric tankless water heater for your needs.