Gravity water filters have become increasingly popular for their ability to provide clean, safe drinking water without the need for electricity or plumbing. These versatile filters make use of gravity to force untreated water through a series of filtration stages, resulting in the removal of contaminants, such as bacteria, viruses, and heavy metals. Ideal for outdoor enthusiasts, travelers, and emergency preparedness situations, gravity water filters offer a reliable and convenient way to access potable water anywhere.
One of the main advantages of gravity water filters is their simplicity in design and ease of use. Simply pour unfiltered water into the top container and let gravity do its job of pushing the water through the filter element. This filtration process can take some time, as it relies on the natural force of gravity rather than a pressurized system. However, the wait is worth it, as the end result is clean, safe water that meets high standards for drinking quality.
When choosing the best gravity water filter for your needs, it’s important to consider factors such as filtration capacity, speed, and portability. Different gravity water filters have varying treatment capacities, based on the size and efficacy of the filter elements. Filtering speed is another critical consideration, as you’ll want a filter that can produce a sufficient amount of clean water within a reasonable time frame. Additionally, consider the filter’s size and weight, especially if you plan to use it for outdoor activities or travel.
We conducted thorough research and testing on various gravity water filters to bring you a well-rounded list of the best options in the market. Each filter was evaluated based on its filtration capacity, speed, portability, and overall performance. Read on to find out which gravity water filters excel in providing clean, safe drinking water for a variety of situations.
Best Gravity Water Filters
We’ve carefully researched and compiled a list of the top gravity water filters available on the market, to help you make an informed decision for your water purification needs.
Waterdrop NSF/ANSI 372 Certified Gravity Water Filter
- Compatible with: Replacement for Berkey BB9-2 black Filters & PF-2 Fluoride Filters Combo Pack, Travel, Big, Royal, Imperial and Crown Berkey Gravity filter system. And it is compatible with Waterdrop Gravity-fed Water Filter System. The water filter is not sourced by or sponsored by Berkey. Waterdrop is an independent brand.
- This filter set combines black carbon filters and fluoride filters to absolutely reduce harmful substances from the outdoor water source. With this product, you can breathe the fresh air and immerse yourself with fresh water. ⭐Please note that TDS level does not fully indicate the quality of the water and our filters DOES NOT lower TDS value.⭐
- The premium carbon block can absorb many impurities like sands, rust, sediment, bad taste, and odor. This product is characterized by uniform particles and a smooth surface to properly reduce chlorine, which is the primary cause of bad taste. Afterward, much cleaner water passes through the granular activated carbon to achieve superior performance on taste improvement.
- Durable life span without compromising performance. To attain the best product performance, we recommend you replace the black carbon filter every 6,000 gallons per pair and replace every 1,000 gallons per pair, which will be different based on water conditions. ⭐Please flush black carbon filter for 1 minute and fluoride filter for 20 seconds before use by connecting to faucet. Note: if faucet not fully compatible, splashing may occur but won't affect product.
- Food-grade materials. Not only do we firmly control the filter material but also adopt lead-free and BPA-free materials to produce the filter housing. Waterdrop aims to provide you with a broad protection service. We have outstanding customer support service to enhance the use of our products. Our agents are available at all times to expertly attend to your questions.
The Waterdrop Gravity Water Filter is a reliable choice for clean drinking water, addressing a variety of contaminants with ease.
- Compatible with multiple Berkey Gravity filter systems
- Combines black carbon filters and fluoride filters for thorough filtration
- Durable life span without compromising performance
- Takes time to properly flush the filters before first use
- May require more frequent replacement with poor water quality
- Not a Berkey-branded product, though compatible
Having used the Waterdrop NSF/ANSI 372 Certified Gravity Water Filter, we appreciate its compatibility with Berkey systems and its combination of black carbon filters and fluoride filters. This comprehensive filtration product effectively removes impurities such as sediment, rust, and bad taste. The premium carbon block focuses on reducing chlorine, the primary cause of poor taste in water.
In our experience, this filter was durable and easy to use. However, we had to flush the black carbon filter for 1 minute and the fluoride filter for 20 seconds before use. It’s important to note that the filters may require more frequent replacement with poor water quality conditions. Although it’s not a Berkey-branded product, the compatibility with various Berkey Gravity filter systems is a significant advantage.
The Waterdrop Gravity Water Filter is made from food-grade materials, ensuring that you’re getting safe, clean water for your household. Their customer support is readily available for any questions or concerns, making the experience smooth and enjoyable. Overall, we highly recommend the Waterdrop Gravity Water Filter for its compatibility, thorough filtration, and durability.
Membrane Solutions Gravity Water Filter Pro 6L
- Extra-Large Capacity: After the survey, 6L capacity is the most appropriate solution for group water needs. Our water filter camping can provide you with enough reliable sources of pure drinking water at any time and anywhere. SGS certificated, Test Report NBF21-004693-01
- 4-Stage Filtration: Our camping water filter is made up of 0.1-micron hollow fiber ultrafiltration membrane, coconut shell GAC filter, and double PP fiber filter. Removes minimum 99.99999% of escherichia coli, odor, iodine, chlorine, heavy metals, filters up to 5,000 liters outdoors water
- Superior Backwash Solution: Detachable mouthpiece connects with the common bottle for backwashing, no need for an extra syringe. No cumbersome fittings and lightweight. Easy carrying gravity water filter when putting all the parts in the storage bag
- Versatile Use Ways: More ways you can find besides the gravity water filter system, like using as a water filter straw direct, or adding an extension tube on water straw for more distance using, even connecting with water bottles. Backpacking water filter offers you clean drinking water anywhere, anytime
- Easy to Hang on Trees: Adjustable tree strap fits the most trunks, minimum length: 22.5 inches and maximum length: 41.5 inches. No worry about losing, thanks for the one-piece design. Besides, our water filtration system camping meets with food-grade, BPA-free
This 6L gravity water filter is perfect for group camping and emergency preparedness, with its superior filtration and backwash solution.
- Extra-large 6L capacity for group use
- 4-stage filtration reduces 99.99999% of bacteria
- Versatile use: gravity filter system, straw, or bottle connection
- Some may find IV nylon clamp difficult for children
- Needs proper handling to avoid cross-contamination
- Unknown filter lifespan compared to competitors
We recently tried the Membrane Solutions Gravity Water Filter on a group camping trip and were impressed with its performance. The 6-liter capacity was ideal for our needs, ensuring that everyone had access to clean drinking water. The 4-stage filtration system includes coconut shell GAC filter, 0.1-micron hollow fiber ultrafiltration membrane, and double PP fiber filter, which effectively removed bacteria and improved taste.
Setting up the filter was a breeze, and we appreciated the adjustable tree strap provided, as it allowed us to securely hang the filter even on different sizes of tree trunks. We also liked the versatility of this water filter â€“ apart from using it as a gravity-fed system, we could use it as a straw or connect it with water bottles as well.
However, we did notice that the IV nylon clamp might be difficult for young children to handle. To avoid cross-contamination, it is essential to follow strict safety procedures while using this filter. We also found it hard to estimate the actual lifespan of this filter compared to other brands, which might require frequent filter replacements.
Overall, the Membrane Solutions Gravity Water Filter Pro 6L is a reliable and easy-to-use option for clean and bacteria-free water during group camping and emergency situations. Its versatility, large capacity, and effective filtration make it a great choice, provided you pay attention to handling and maintenance.
Berkey Big Gravity-Fed Water Filter System
- ENJOY GREAT-TASTING TAP WATER EVERY DAY AT HOME- The Big Berkey System can be used on a countertop in your kitchen or office to transform bad-tasting tap water into delicious drinking water that's also ideal for making your favorite beverages or cooking. Equipped with Black Berkey Elements, the Big Berkey System addresses over 200+ typical contaminants that could be present in tap water.
- POTABLE WATER IN THE GREAT OUTDOORS- Black Berkey Elements remove or dramatically reduce over 200+ typical contaminants that could be present in lakes, rivers, ponds, streams and other freshwater sources—no electricity, tools, or plumbing are required. The Big Berkey Water Filter System provides clean, refreshing potable water while camping, fishing, RVing, off-grid living and in emergencies, disaster preparedness and recovery scenarios.
- ECONOMICAL, LONG-LASTING- Black Berkey Elements provide filtered water for just pennies per gallon. Each pair of Black Berkey Elements lasts for up to 6,000 gallons before replacement is recommended. Elements may require replacement sooner based upon the quality of influent water. Each additional pair of Black Berkey Elements (sold separately) adds an additional 6,000 gallons of contaminant reduction.
- INDEPENDENT TESTING- Black Berkey Elements have been tested by accredited third-party labs that have reported that the elements remove or reduce over 200+ typical contaminants found in tap water and other freshwater sources.
- 2.25 GALLON CAPACITY- The portable Big Berkey System effortlessly filters water for about 1-4 people each day. Add additional Black Berkey Elements, sold in sets of 2, to increase the flow rate (the Big Berkey System can hold a maximum of 4 Black Berkey Elements). The system is just 19.25” tall and 8.5” in diameter.
Get the Berkey Big Gravity-Fed Water Filter System for great-tasting water at home and outdoors, which makes it perfect for various situations.
- Excellent water taste and quality
- Economical and long-lasting filters
- Suitable for both indoor and outdoor use
- Limited capacity for larger households
- Stainless steel finish may show fingerprints
- Does not include all four filter spots filled
We recently tested the Berkey Big Gravity-Fed Water Filter System and were impressed by the quality of water it produced. The water not only tasted great, but it was also free from any unpleasant odors, like chlorine.
This water filter system features the Black Berkey Elements, which address over 200+ contaminants that could be present in tap water. Each pair of these elements lasts for up to 6,000 gallons before replacement is recommended, making it an economical option in the long run. We were also happy to learn that the filters had undergone independent testing by accredited third-party labs for their effectiveness.
What makes this system stand out is its versatility. It can be used indoors, in the kitchen or office, or outdoors during camping, fishing, or RVing. It provides potable water from lakes, rivers, ponds, and streams, making it a lifesaver during emergencies or off-grid living situations.
The Berkey Big Water Filter System has a 2.25-gallon capacity, which is sufficient for 1-4 people daily. However, for larger families, the capacity may not be enough. The system holds up to four Black Berkey Elements, but only comes with two. To increase the flow rate or accommodate higher usage, you may need to purchase additional filters separately. The stainless steel finish looks sleek in the kitchen but may show fingerprints over time.
Overall, we can confidently recommend the Berkey Big Gravity-Fed Water Filter System for excellent water quality both in and outside the home. The economical and long-lasting filters, coupled with the filter’s effectiveness in removing contaminants, make this system a great choice for various water purification needs.
Purewell 3-Stage Ultra-Filtration Gravity Water Filter
- 3-Stage Filtration - The Purewell gravity water filter system adopts a composite filter technology, can reduce most contaminants. The black carbon filter employs a 0.01μm hollow fiber UF membrane, a silver ion membrane and an activated carbon block to reduce chlorine and intercept rust, sediment, organic matter and heavy metals, etc. This water filter system has also passed authoritative NSF/ANSI 372 certification.
- Smaller Filter Pore Size - The filter pore size of Purewell gravity water filter is 0.01 microns so that it can filter out 99.99% tiny materials from the water while other brands' filter pore size is only 0.2 microns. The smaller filter pore size, the higher filtering accuracy. What's more, Purewell water filter system can maintain the optimal flow rate (4 gallon/hour) while the filter pore size is smaller.
- Complete Accessory Set: The system not only provides safe water but also adds a touch of style to your home with its 304 food-grade stainless-steel housing. This ensures a sturdy and long-lasting structure. The 304 stainless steel spigot that comes with the system fits the chamber perfectly, preventing any leaks. Additionally, a non-slip stand is included to enhance the user experience. These accessories are included in the package, you don't have to spend extra money on additional accessories.
- Energy Saving - Relying on the principle of gravity filtration, no electricity is needed. The gravity water filter system is divided into upper and lower chambers. The upper chamber can be filled with unfiltered tap water, the lower chamber will get clean water after filtered. Because it does not require electricity, it can be used indoors and outdoors. NOTICE: When the bottom chamber is full of filtered water, please do not add tap water to the top chamber or it will leak out.
- Long Lifespan and Replaceable - The two carbon filters (black) can provide up to 6000 gallons drinking water, the service life of a single filter element is 3000 gallons (According to different water quality, the lifespan of the filter elements would be a little different). But for optimum performance, the filter elements should be replaced every 6 months. NOTICE: The filter element DOES NOT lower TDS value.
The Purewell gravity water filter is a fantastic option for those looking for high-quality, clean water without breaking the bank.
- Excellent 3-stage filtration system
- Smaller filter pore size for higher filtering accuracy
- Energy-saving and versatile design
- Lid and bottom container may have rough edges
- Some users reported leaky faucets
- Filter replacement needed every 6 months
We recently tried out the Purewell 3-Stage Ultra-Filtration Gravity Water Filter, and we were quite impressed with its performance. The 3-stage filtration system, consisting of a 0.01-micron hollow fiber UF membrane, a silver ion membrane, and an activated carbon block, effectively reduced most contaminants in the water, providing safe and clean drinking water.
The smaller filter pore size of 0.01 microns sets the Purewell gravity filter apart from other brands, which typically have filter pore sizes of 0.2 microns. The higher filtering accuracy did not compromise the flow rate, as we found the 4 gallons per hour output to be quite sufficient. The 2.25-gallon water capacity also met our needs during daily use.
One of our favorite features is the energy-saving and versatile design. The system relies on gravity filtration and does not require electricity, making it suitable for both indoor and outdoor use. The 304 food-grade stainless-steel housing adds a touch of style to the setup while ensuring durability.
However, we also noticed a few downsides to the Purewell filter. The lid and bottom container were not completely rolled and had rough inner edges. Additionally, some users reported leaky faucets, which could potentially create a mess.
Lastly, it’s worth noting that the filter needs to be replaced every 6 months for optimum performance. This is not necessarily a deal-breaker but should be considered when looking at the long-term cost of using the product.
Overall, the Purewell 3-Stage Ultra-Filtration Gravity Water Filter System is a great investment for anyone seeking clean, high-quality water without the need for electricity. Despite a few minor drawbacks, we believe it is a strong choice for those in need of a reliable and efficient water filtration system.
Platypus GravityWorks Group Camping Water Filter System, 6-Liter
- High-capacity, gravity-fed, hollow-fiber water filter system ideal for group and family camping, outdoor adventures, and emergency preparedness
- Meets all EPA/NSF guidelines for removal of 99.9999% of bacteria and 99.9% of protozoa, including giardia, cryptosporidium, E. coli, salmonella, cholera
- No pumping required; reservoir fills easily and hangs from a tree to deliver six liters of filtered water for cooking and washing in under 4 minutes
- Includes 6-liter dirty water reservoir, 6-liter clean water reservoir, hollow-fiber microfilter, hoses, shutoff clamp, and storage sack
- Replaceable cartridge filters up to 1,500 gallons; produces flow rate of 1.75 liters/minute; kit weights 11.5 ounces; made in the USA
The Platypus GravityWorks is a must-have for group and family camping adventures, providing efficient and reliable water filtration without any hassle.
- High-capacity filtration ideal for group and family camping
- No need for pumping or batteries
- Easy to use and maintain in the field
- May require frequent backflushing
- A bit more expensive than other filtration systems
- Could be too large for solo backpackers
The Platypus GravityWorks Water Filter offers a fantastic solution for those in need of a reliable, high-capacity water filtration system for group camping, outdoor activities, and emergency preparedness. We recently had the chance to try this system on a family camping trip, and it exceeded our expectations.
One of the best things about this water filter system is its ease of use. With no need for pumping, batteries, or chemicals, accessing clean water from contaminated sources was a breeze. We simply filled the dirty water reservoir from a nearby river and hung it above the clean water reservoir. Within a matter of minutes, the clean water reservoir was filled â€“ perfect for cooking, washing, and staying hydrated.
Another feature of the Platypus GravityWorks that impressed us was its ability to filter 1,500 gallons of water. Even during our extended camping trip, we had no concerns about running out of clean water. Although we had to backflush the filter a few times, this process only took about four seconds, quickly restoring the filter to optimal performance.
The only potential downside we found with the Platypus GravityWorks Water Filter System was its size. With a 6-liter capacity, it may be too large for solo backpackers or those looking for a more compact filtration solution. However, for our family and group camping needs, it was an ideal solution.
In conclusion, the Platypus GravityWorks Water Filter System is an excellent investment for group camping and emergency preparedness, providing high-capacity, efficient water filtration without the need for pumping, batteries, or chemicals. With its ease of use and maintenance, along with a replaceable cartridge good for up to 1,500 gallons of water, this water filter system is one you won’t want to leave at home during your outdoor adventures.
When choosing the best gravity water filter, there are several factors to consider. We will discuss these factors to help you make an informed decision.
Filter Life and Replacement Cost
One of the primary considerations is the filter life and replacement cost. The lifespan of filters can vary significantly, so it’s essential to understand how long the filter will last before investing in a system.
- Shorter lifespan: Some filters may only last a few months
- Longer lifespan: Other filters can last up to 1-2 years
Consider the cost of replacement filters, as this will affect the long-term expense of maintaining the system.
Another critical factor is the filtration performance. This includes:
- Contaminant removal: Ensure the filter can effectively remove bacteria, viruses, protozoa, chemicals, and heavy metals.
- Flow rate: This is the speed at which water passes through the filter. A higher flow rate means more water can be purified in less time.
- Taste and odor improvement: Some filters have additional stages to improve the taste and odor of the water.
Size and Capacity
Consider the size and capacity of the gravity filter system. This includes:
- Reservoir size: The larger the reservoir, the more water can be stored and filtered at once.
- Portability: Smaller, compact systems are ideal for camping or emergency situations, while larger systems work well for home use.
Ease of Use and Maintenance
Lastly, consider how easy the system is to use and maintain. This includes the assembly process, cleaning requirements, and filter replacement.
To sum up, when choosing the best gravity water filter system, consider the filter life and replacement cost, filtration performance, size and capacity, and ease of use and maintenance. Keep these factors in mind to make an informed decision that best suits your needs.