In the quest for optimal health, alkaline water has emerged as a key player. A product that once seemed niche, it’s now gaining widespread popularity. But what exactly makes the best alkaline water? Let’s dive in and find out.
Understanding Alkaline Water
Alkaline water is not your everyday tap water. It has a higher pH level, typically around 8 or 9, compared to regular water, which is generally around 7.
This high pH level can neutralize acid in your body. Some people believe this can provide various health benefits, from boosting energy to slowing aging. However, more research is needed to validate these claims.
The Benefits of Alkaline Water
Alkaline water is not only refreshing to drink but also comes with numerous health benefits. These include:
- Balancing the body’s pH levels: Regular consumption of alkaline water can help neutralize acid in your body, thereby maintaining optimal pH levels.
- Hydration: Alkaline water is believed to be more hydrating than regular water. This is particularly beneficial for individuals who work out regularly and require more water to stay hydrated.
- Detoxification: Alkaline water can aid in the detoxification process, helping your body to cleanse itself of toxins more effectively.
- Immunity Boost: By neutralizing harmful free radicals and boosting the immune system, alkaline water can help keep you healthier and less prone to disease.
- Anti-aging properties: Alkaline water is rich in potent antioxidants that help to slow down the aging process by counteracting oxidative damage to cells.
Criteria for the Best Alkaline Water
Identifying the best alkaline water isn’t as simple as picking up the first bottle you see. Here are some key factors you should consider:
The pH level is the first thing to look at. The optimal level is typically between 8 and 9.5. Anything above this may be too alkaline and can cause side effects.
The source of the water is also essential. Natural spring water is often considered the best source of alkaline water.
Finally, check for any additives. The best alkaline water should be free from artificial sweeteners, colors, and flavors.
Top Alkaline Water Brands
While there are many brands on the market, here are some that consistently rank among the best:
- ESSENTIA WATER 12 PACK: Twelve 1L (33.8 Fl Oz) Essentia Water bottles of ionized alkaline water that’s 99.9% pure with a pH of 9.5 or higher and a clean, smooth taste — so you can stop for nothing
- 99.9% PURE: Essentia Water is purified with micro filtration and reverse osmosis technology, resulting in Overachieving H2O that is 99.9% pure
- ENHANCED WITH ELECTROLYTES: Our proprietary blend of electrolytes is added not only for taste, but to complement the body's natural mix
- IONIZED HYDRATION: Our proprietary ionization process produces clean, smooth-tasting 9.5 pH water by removing bitter-tasting acidic ions
- TAKE HYDRATION TO THE NEXT LEVEL: Essentia Water is Supercharged Ionized Alkaline Water. So you can do what matters most to you and stop for nothing
Essentia has been a popular brand since 1998, using a three-step ionization process involving purification, the addition of electrolytes, and the removal of bitter ions. This creates a 9.5+ pH level water loved by athletes for its superior hydration. Additionally, Essentia water boasts a smooth taste due to added potassium, magnesium, and calcium. It is considered the top-selling ionized alkaline water in the US natural foods market, with a commitment to humanitarian and environmental initiatives.
Launched in 2020, ZenWTR has claimed the title of the ‘world’s first plastic negative beverage’. The brand uses recycled ocean-bound plastic to craft its bottles and aims to rescue 50 million pounds of ocean-bound plastic by 2025. ZenWTR’s water undergoes an 8-step purifying process resulting in an ultra-pure product with a pH of 9.5+. The brand also provides a helpful recycling guide on its website.
Smart Water Alkaline
- Alkaline 9.5+pH ionized water with antioxidant from selenium
- Vapor-distilled with electrolytes for taste
- Recyclable water bottle
- Perfect for on-the-go
- The same crisp, clean taste of smartwater that you love
Smart Water Alkaline is a relatively new product from the popular Smart Water brand. It offers an alkalinity level of 9+ in its water sourced from various places around the USA. The brand uses a vapor distillation method to purify its water, and some of its products are equipped with added electrolytes for taste and hydration. Smart Water is described as “crisp” and is one of the most popular bottled water brands in existence.
Icelandic Glacial Water
- NATURALLY ALKALINE: Icelandic Glacial is naturally alkaline with a pH level of 8.4
- SPARKLING AVAILABLE: Icelandic Glacial also has a variety of sparkling options including classic sparkling and a selection of distinct sparkling flavors - available in 330 mL Aluminum Cans
- SUSTAINABLE PACKAGING: The iconic bottle design of Icelandic Glacial, inspired by glaciers, reflects its premium quality. Crafted from high-grade rPET, the BPA-free bottles and packaging are entirely recyclable
- SUSTAINABLE SOURCE: Icelandic Glacial is sourced from the legendary Ölfus Spring in Iceland, one of the world's largest natural springs
- Package contains 24, 500 mL bottles
Icelandic Glacial sources its 100% natural, alkaline water from Ölfus Spring in Iceland. This water is filtered through lava rocks over a process of 5,000 years, resulting in water with a natural pH level of 8.4. The brand operates a sustainable facility running on geothermal and hydroelectric power and invests in forestry, renewable energy, and global conservation projects to offset emissions. Icelandic Glacial offers its alkaline beverage in still, sparkling, and sparkling flavored options.
Health Benefits of Alkaline Water
Alkaline water is often praised for a range of health benefits it provides. Supporters of alkaline water highlight several potential advantages:
- Improved Hydration: Alkaline water, particularly those with added electrolytes like Essentia Water, can enhance hydration. This is especially beneficial for athletes or those who engage in high-intensity workouts, where efficient hydration is crucial.
- Neutralizing Body Acidity: Some proponents argue that a diet high in acidic foods can lead to a variety of health issues. Alkaline water, with its higher pH level, may help neutralize the acid in your body.
- Supporting Bone Health: Some studies suggest that alkaline water may support bone health. It’s believed to aid in the reduction of bone resorption, the process where old bone cells are broken down and replaced by new ones.
Please consult with your healthcare provider before making any changes to your diet, including adding alkaline water.
Scientific Research and Studies
The popularity of alkaline water has sparked interest and research into its health benefits. However, the scientific community’s consensus is not entirely established.
While some studies suggest potential health benefits such as improved bone health, many experts believe more comprehensive research is needed. There are also conflicting views on whether the body’s natural mechanisms for managing pH levels render alkaline water’s effect negligible.
It’s crucial for consumers to approach health claims about alkaline water critically and to rely on reputable sources of information.
How to Choose an Alkaline Water Brand
When selecting an alkaline water brand, several factors should be considered:
- pH Level: Look for brands that provide the pH level on their labeling. The higher the pH, the more alkaline the water.
- Source: Consider where the water comes from. Brands like Icelandic Glacial source their water from natural springs, which some consumers prefer.
- Purification Process: Understand the purification process the brand uses. For instance, Smart Water uses a vapor distillation method, while ZenWTR undergoes an 8-step purifying process.
- Company Values: If environmental sustainability and corporate responsibility are important to you, choose brands that prioritize these values. For example, ZenWTR is known for using recycled plastic bottles, and Icelandic Glacial operates a sustainable facility.
DIY Alkaline Water
If you prefer a hands-on approach or wish to save money, making alkaline water at home can be an option. Here are a few methods:
- Baking Soda: Adding a small amount of baking soda to a glass of water can increase its alkalinity. However, remember that baking soda is high in sodium, so this may not be a suitable option for everyone, especially those monitoring their sodium intake.
- Water Ionizer: Water ionizers are machines that use electrolysis to increase the pH of water. The water is separated into acidic and alkaline components—the alkaline water is then ready for drinking.
Again, it’s important to consult with a healthcare provider before making significant changes to your water consumption habits.
Environmental Impact of Alkaline Water
The environmental impact of bottled water, including alkaline water, is a significant concern for many consumers. Here’s how some of the top alkaline water brands are addressing this issue:
- Essentia Water: Owned by Nestle, this brand has demonstrated a commitment to environmental initiatives, donating more than $1.5 million to humanitarian and environmental causes. However, like all bottled water companies, the environmental impact of their plastic bottle production and distribution is a factor to consider.
- ZenWTR: This brand stands out for its commitment to environmental sustainability. ZenWTR uses 100% recycled ocean-bound plastic for its bottles. In fact, every bottle of ZenWTR is made from up to 5 recycled ocean-bound plastic bottles. The company aims to rescue 50 million pounds of ocean-bound plastic by 2025. They also claim to have reduced their energy use by 84% and greenhouse gases by 71% per pound of plastic, compared to using virgin plastic.
- Smart Water: As a product of Coca-Cola, Smart Water is part of a company with wide-reaching environmental initiatives. However, specific information about Smart Water’s environmental impact or sustainability efforts is not readily available.
- Icelandic Glacial: Icelandic Glacial is an entirely carbon-neutral company. The brand operates a sustainable facility that runs on geothermal and hydroelectric power. To offset any other emissions formed in production or shipping, the company invests in forestry, renewable energy, and global conservation projects.
While these brands have made strides toward sustainability, it’s important to remember that bottled water still has a significant environmental footprint. Opting for reusable water bottles and home filtration systems can be a more eco-friendly choice. As consumers, we can make a difference by making informed choices and advocating for more sustainable practices.
When it comes to choosing the best alkaline water, the decision ultimately comes down to personal preference and your specific health needs. Whether you choose a top-rated brand or opt to make your own at home, always remember to stay properly hydrated and consult with a health professional if you have any concerns.
Remember, it’s not just about drinking water. It’s about making a conscious choice for better health and well-being.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is alkaline water?
Alkaline water is water that has a pH level greater than 7, which is the neutral point on the pH scale. It’s believed that alkaline water can help neutralize acid in the body, among other health benefits.
2. What are the health benefits of drinking alkaline water?
Some potential health benefits of alkaline water include improved hydration, neutralizing acidity in the body, and supporting bone health. However, more research is needed to fully understand and validate these benefits.
3. Is it safe to drink alkaline water daily?
Generally, yes, it’s safe to drink alkaline water daily. However, it’s important to maintain a balanced diet and not rely solely on alkaline water for health benefits. If you have any health concerns, it’s always best to consult with your healthcare provider.
4. How can I make alkaline water at home?
There are a few ways to make alkaline water at home. One method is by adding a small amount of baking soda to a glass of water. You can also use a water ionizer machine to increase the pH of your water. Always remember to consult with a healthcare provider before making significant changes to your water consumption habits.
5. What should I look for when choosing an alkaline water brand?
When choosing an alkaline water brand, consider factors such as the pH level, source of the water, purification process, and the company’s environmental sustainability efforts.
6. How do alkaline water brands impact the environment?
Bottled water, including alkaline water, has a significant environmental impact due to the production and disposal of plastic bottles. Some brands, like ZenWTR and Icelandic Glacial, have implemented sustainability initiatives to reduce their environmental footprint.
7. What are some top alkaline water brands?
Some of the top alkaline water brands include Essentia, ZenWTR, Smart Water, and Icelandic Glacial. Each of these brands offers unique features and benefits, so it’s important to choose one that aligns with your needs and values.
8. Does alkaline water taste different from regular water?
Some people find that alkaline water tastes smoother and less acidic than regular water, while others may not notice a significant difference. Taste can also vary between brands due to factors like the source of the water and added minerals.